Grower - Full time - Sonoma/Marin, California
Do you have two ultra-green thumbs and dream to improve the world through sustainable agriculture? FYTO is seeking a skilled Grower to manage plant-growing operations in Sonoma/Marin and adjacent areas in California.
FYTO launched out of MIT in 2019 to develop solutions that increase farmers’ profitability and decrease our collective carbon ‘foodprint’. We merge engineering, biology, and business expertise with farmers’ hands-on experience. FYTO’s patent-pending technology produces nutrient-dense animal feed, food, and fertilizer products from non-GMO crops without synthetic fertilizer and with much less energy, water, and labor than traditional agriculture.
Creativity, transparency, and collaboration are core values that guide how we do business. We’re a small team taking on a big problem, and we’re looking for people who are passionate about revolutionizing agriculture.
About the Grower position
We’re seeking an experienced Grower who loves to grow things, of course! This is a full-time position currently located in Sonoma/Marin and adjacent areas in California. The Grower will maintain the daily growth, harvesting, and downstream processing of plants grown with our proprietary automated system. Working closely with our team, the Grower will also develop processes and collect data that improve our ability to produce high-quality products.
The Grower will also interact regularly with our partners and farmers in the region. The ability to develop working relationships and learn about farmers’ needs will be invaluable as FYTO develops its technology. While your primary focus will be growing plants, having the ability to grow relationships, as well, is a major plus.
Whether you’re working by yourself on a farm or in the office with the rest of the FYTO team, attention to detail and creative problem-solving skills are essential.
Your required qualifications
● Bachelor’s degree in plant science, horticulture, agronomy, botany, or related field
● Minimum 3 years working in plant production and/or farming
● Basic computer skills, including experience with MS Office and Google Suite
● Have a valid driver’s license and good driving record
● Quick learner who is flexible, self-motivated, able to ask questions, and will thrive in a startup environment
● Ability to work with farmers and farm staff and establish professional relationships
Other preferred qualifications
● Experience operating controlled environment agriculture systems
● Experience characterizing plants, including imaging and chemical analysis
● Previous success in scaling small growing operations
● Knowledge of and experience with farming in California
● Aptitude with statistical analysis software and/or programming
● Conversational Spanish language skills
Physical activity requirements
● Walk across a variety of terrains, including uneven surfaces
● Climb, jump, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch and install equipment
● Stand for extended time periods
● Lift and carry 25 lbs. but occasionally up to 50 lbs.
● Work in conditions with varying humidity, sunlight, and temperatures (32-90 degrees F, depending on the season)
● We’re a small startup with ambitious plans, so each member of our team has the chance to meaningfully shape our global impact
● We offer competitive benefits
● We like to work hard AND have fun with team outings and meals
● We offer advancement opportunities in the company as we grow
FYTO is committed to equal opportunity and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. FYTO does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its recruitment processes and employment practices.
Please reach out to us with your resume and cover letter at